GW/NW-001 Snowdon


What we wanted to see!  See below for reality!

My Wife suffers from a chronic debilitating illness which prevents her from walking very far.  Walking up a hill or mountain would be absolutely impossible for her and she always waits to see the photographs that I have taken when I have been ‘up the hills’.  I knew that she would love to be with me on top of some of the hills, so a plan started to come together in my head.  We were looking for somewhere to go for a few days in July and North Wales had always been on our ‘bucket list’, so we chose Snowdonia staying at a lovely Premier Inn in Caernarfon.  By way of a surprise I booked tickets on the Snowdon Mountain Railway so that she could finally say that she had been to the top of a mountain and seen the views for herself.

As a side-line I decided to take the opportunity to activate the summit.  Did I feel guilty taking the train to the top then activating the summit – NO.  I have walked, via many different routes, to the summit on numerous occasions and completed the full Snowdon Horseshoe.  So on this occasion I was treating the summit as a drive-on.  Anyway I am suffering from what was originally thought to be a stress fracture to my left foot now diagnosed as a torn Peroneus Tendon which has left me unable to ‘go up hills’ and shack fever was setting in.


VX-170 & VX-8 plus RSS 2M dipole.

Snowdon GW/NW-001

We had spent two days having a leisurely drive to Caernarfon from home taking in what we could see of the scenery.  The weather had turned from sunny to wet with low cloud within minutes of crossing the Welsh border.  I wanted to show the XYL a view of Snowdon from the observation point on the Capel Curig to Beddgelert road however, as the photo below shows there was little hope of seeing the summit.


A lovely view of snowdon in the cloud!

On the morning of the trip to Snowdon we made our way to Llanberis and checked in at the railway station on a very damp and miserable day.  The first part of the journey up was enjoyable however, even before we reached the Halfway Station we were in thick cloud with about 20 metre visibility.  On arrival at the summit we made a very quick dash for cover in the cafe where my wife remained whilst I ran to the summit in horizontal rain to make a few contacts.


Unfortunately I had realised halfway up that I had left me phone in the car so was unable to self spot.  Calling on 145.500 quickly brought a couple of locals into the log but nothing else until Jim, EI9GLB, popped up for a QSO.  Despite several calls there were no other responses so a tune round found a couple of locals in Bangor having a chat who generously provided me with quick reports to qualify the hill.  I never thought it would be that hard to qualify the highest summit in Wales and England.   But then I wasn’t going to hang around too long either in the appalling weather.


I suppose we should be grateful that we even got to the summit at all as we were ony the 3rd train in 4 days to reach the summit because of the high winds.

73 Glyn G(W)4CFS/P